[Geeks are Sexy] technology news





Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Microsoft Home Server: Beta Released

Microsoft, for the most part, have kept the Beta Program for Home Server close to home. However, they've begun to take names from the public for those of you who are interested in testing Home Server!

What is Home Server?

Put simply, it is a storage server that sits on your home LAN and serves the other machines connected to your network, no matter where they are in the world. It also allows you to stream movies or photos from your XBOX and can even serve as a backup server for your home computers, providing either full PC backups or file version/rollback functionalities.

For me, the cool idea behind Home Server, and why I signed up to be a Beta-Tester myself (besides the fact that I like to break things), was that it gives you the capability of accessing your files from anywhere, inside or OUTSIDE of your home network. This can be done via a password protected web interface or a simple RDP client. I think that this is the greatest selling point of this technology.


At CES:


Video: Windows Home Server CES 2007


Related Articles:

ComputerWold
Softpedia News
Inside Microsoft Blog

Labels:



4 Comments:

  • Very nice tip.

    Does anybody knows more about the application that allow you access your hardrive from the internet? This thing is really interesting, it is just available for the Home Server?

    Thanks

    By Blogger Felipe Tocchetto, at 8:43 PM  

  • Well the way I do it now is I have an ftp server here at home, and i have allowed RDP through my firewall so that I can control the server from anywhere.

    It works.. but Home Server seems to do this alot better (from what i've read! I'd love to get my hands on the Beta to see what it can really do!)

    By Blogger AlRo, at 10:03 PM  

  • Thanks Airo

    I was wondering if we can use just this share tool in others Windows Versions.

    By Blogger Felipe Tocchetto, at 12:25 PM  

  • Well... Windows has the capability to share already, it's just not centralized when you're sharing among 3 or more machines.

    Essentially, Home Server is a single box with a repository to store all of your media and files in a central place for people who aren't completely technical. But for us geeky types, it has the added bonus of Remote Share Anywhere, and RDP to any box in your Home Network... that's huge for me...

    But I have a Win2k3 box at home that serves as my file server - and i share among my xp machines too.. but it's not very central..

    By Blogger AlRo, at 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home