[Geeks are Sexy] technology news

Friday, January 26, 2007

Google Releases 'Testing on the Toilet'

Yes, the title of this post means exactly what it implies. Some crazy folks at Google had the not so marvelous idea of displaying tips for its developers in each of the company's 500 bathrooms. The main goal of this program, which apparently has been already running for several months at Google, is to teach employees about the virtues of well-tested code, even while they're sitting on the throne.

We're unveiling the public release of "Testing on the Toilet": one of Google's little secrets that has helped us to inspire our developers to write well-tested code. We write flyers about everything from dependency injection to code coverage, and then regularly plaster the bathrooms all over Google with each episode, almost 500 stalls worldwide.

Am I the only one here that thinks that this project is a little disturbing? What are your thoughts on this?

Read more


  • HAHAHAHA.....

    That's all i have to say about that.

    By Blogger AlRo, at 11:32 AM  

  • The Google developers probably don't give a sh*t...or maybe it just p*sses them off. :) Seriously, this company has too much money.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:24 PM  

  • I think it's beyond disturbing, it's downright tacky. It sort of reminds me of in Cheaper by the Dozen (the book, not the movie) when the kids had to listen to foreign language tapes in the bathroom.

    By Blogger Mommy Dearest, at 6:58 PM  

  • I must admit that I've hatched some of my best ideas while laying something else.

    But the key to that is relaxing your thought process, not in being programmed.

    By Anonymous Sterling "Chip" Camden, at 7:28 PM  

  • Not nearly as disturbing as the cameras they're going to put in the stalls next to make sure people are reading their assignments.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:14 AM  

  • I happened to visit Google- and saw these over the urinals.

    Hey, I LOVED it! Time I'd normally waste, I can learn... I was reading 'em both times I visited the you-know-where.

    Up here (I live in Seattle), advertisers put ads over toilets in restaurants, etc- there's even a company that sells that ad space.

    So, my take was that Google is just doing what it seems they're good at- thinking outside the box.

    BTW, anyone know where I can get a wall-mounted RSS display? I'd love to install it at MY work, and get a TOTT feed set up on it, so I could get the same advantage that the Googlites are getting? :)

    Like I saw when I jumped to the public version of TOTT: "Debugging sucks, Testing ROCKS!"

    By Anonymous Jim Peak, Shoreline, WA, at 9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home