[Geeks are Sexy] technology news





Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Surviving The Web 2.0 Island: Can Web-based Applications Outwit, Outplay, Outlast the Desktop?

Let me start this post with a quick question: Is there anyone among you that tried, at least once, to work for a certain period of time using a web based suite of productivity applications? Whether you are going to answer yes or no to this, here's another question: Do you think such applications could actually replace traditional, desktop based ones? Personally, I haven't had the pleasure to involve myself in such an experiment, so I cannot give you an answer to this, but I've got a friend who actually did, and his name is Oliver Rist.

Why do I always say yes to these things? "Live a week in a browser," my editor says. "It'll be fun," he says. No access to my Microsoft Office apps, just the Web 2.0 equivalents that seem to be popping up like gaffes at a Bush press conference.

Like always, Oliver pubbed a wonderful piece of work. Definitely worth the read if you've been thinking about the possibility of replacing your desktop productivity suite with a web based one.

Read more



2 Comments:

  • Very nice blog

    Sid
    http://4techies.blogspot.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:34 PM  

  • Web 2.0 is an abomination. It is the repository of collective unwisdom. Take myspace, the "premier" Web 2.0 site. Plus, it is something that "nobody even knows what it means" (Tim-Berners Lee). So, I think it is just fecal matter. 'nuff said.

    By Anonymous jsaltz, at 9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home