[Geeks are Sexy] technology news

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Why Music Lessons Are Good For Your Mind

According to a new study to be published in the next issue of Brain magazine, children who take music lessons from an early age develop better memory function and show some increased learning abilities compared to those who do not.

Researchers at McMaster University in Hamilton used magnetoencephalography or MEG brain-scanning technology to compare the developmental changes in 12 children aged four to six over the course of a year. The study, to be published in the October edition of Oxford University's neurology journal Brain, found that those who took music lessons showed more changes in brain responses.

Personally, I'd like to send my kids to some basic music lessons when they turn around 4 years old. They may or may not like it at first, but in the long term I'm sure it'll be good for them. Are there any parents here who saw changes in their children's mental abilities after sending them to a music school?

Read more.


  • I have three kids and sent them all to a Saturday morning music school when they were 7.
    The eldest two - both girls - gave up their instruments when they were 12 / 13 but I think the exposure to rhythm and musical notation was good for their cognitive skills. Both are very successful academically.
    Their brother still - reluctantly - takes piano lessons at 13. Not a great musician but again I'm convinced music builds your pattern-recognition meatware.
    My advice is get them into it but don't blow a fuse if they drop the instruments. (I took up the guitar at 45 after a gap of 20 years. It's great fun & I believe - without having put this to peer review - that it's helping me keep a clear head.)

    By Anonymous Dave, at 12:45 PM  

  • Yeah, I'll definitely be sending my son to learn his instrument of choice when he'll turn 4.. and my next one also, who's currently in manafacturing process in the belly of my wife... still 7 months to go till he/she comes out :)

    My son already loves music at 19 months, and already has an ear for music.. (he reproduces basic melody with his voice).. apparently, at this age, this is very rare.

    By Blogger Kiltak, at 1:23 PM  

  • Being a musician - i see the value in this!
    My son joins me on stage all the time and he's only 5... he gains great confidence and has a desire to learn alot about music.. but i don't think he fully understands the work that goes into it yet: all in due time!

    By Blogger AlRo, at 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home