[Geeks are Sexy] technology news

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Winternals Acquired by Microsoft

The very excellent company Winternals Software LP (and its freeware side-project Sysinternals) has just become a subsidiary company of Microsoft. If you haven't heard of either of these companies, I very strongly suggest you check them out (especially Sysinternals). If you've ever been in a position to be troubleshooting or managing a Windows machine, their tools can make your life oh-so-much better. Seriously.

My feelings on this latest of Microsoft's acquisitions is mixed. On one hand, I don't like seeing geniuses of the likes of Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell being yanked from a relatively independent position into the ugly corporate beast that is Microsoft. On the other hand, these guys are incredibly smart, talented, and motivated individuals who (if the
Sysinternals Blog provides an accurate picture) definitely have their heads screwed on correctly and pointed in the right direction. There's only so much one can do when working on the outside, so maybe this new development will allow them to truly make a difference.

I’m joining Microsoft as a technical fellow in the Platform and Services Division, which is the division that includes the Core Operating Systems Division, Windows Client and Windows Live, and Windows Server and Tools. I’ll therefore be working on challenging projects that span the entire Windows product line and directly influence subsequent generations of the most important operating system on the planet.

At the very least, I wish them the best, and hope they continue to share their amazing Sysinternals software and incredible knowledge with the IT community.

Read more:


  • Ok, I removed all french comments about the name of my blog.

    I know very well that the word "Sexy" is not a french word, I was only using it to describe france as a "Sexy" country.

    Sorry if some people were feeling attacked by my words, I did not mean for them to be so.

    By Blogger Kiltak, at 9:42 AM  

  • France is not a sexy country.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:47 AM  

  • Every one has own their view!
    Online marketing

    By Blogger clippsguy1, at 6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home