[Geeks are Sexy] technology news

Monday, July 31, 2006

Microsoft Will Charge for Office 2k7 Beta

Never thought I'd see the day that a company would charge for a beta, but here we are.

Microsoft announced that they will put a $1.50US charge on Beta2 of the Office 2007 suite, starting Wednesday at 18:00 (PDT)! I am currently downloading it, because I plan to test it this week.

"Since the end of May, Beta 2 has been downloaded more than 3 million times. That's 500 percent more than what was expected," the representative said. "The fee helps offset the cost of downloading from the servers."

I'm not too sure what COST they are incurring, unless Microsoft has a Bandwidth limit imposed upon them (and this, I highly doubt). This is Microsoft being Microsoft. If they can capitalize, EVEN A LITTLE, they will.
So for now, get it while you can, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Read Article from ZDNet


  • I can't wait to harass my Microsoft rep for the new version of office. Should be awesome!!


    Check out my AWESOME blog:

    By Blogger Shaun, at 1:08 PM  

  • hi , your blog is nice
    plz see my blog too i need some help to my blog be good!


    PS: the posts are in portuguese but soon posts in english!

    By Blogger rafanfsu, at 1:31 PM  

  • I've installed the Beta now.. and upon first look, it's sexy looking! But i haven't really gotten into the nitty-gritty yet...

    By Blogger AlRo, at 1:49 PM  

  • They will charge for a Beta? Does their greed have any limits?

    By Blogger Lord Ruryl, at 5:01 PM  

  • Yeah well Sony charged for the Star Wars Galaxies MMORPG beta - it sure hasn't been the first time it's happened.

    By Blogger Rachgrrl, at 6:35 PM  

  • If you want a free alternative, you can try Open Office. It's very similar to Microsoft Office, having the Excel, Powerpoint, Word, etc., but it's free. I haven't found any disadvantages to Open Office compared to Microsoft Office as of yet.

    Just thought I'd pass it on!

    By Blogger Sternhund, at 10:49 PM  

  • Yet another reason why I am happy to have switched to Linux.

    By the way, Open Office (openoffice.org) is an office suite that is very comparable to Microsoft Office, but it includes PDF-writing ability natively, and it is 100% FREE!

    By Blogger Mackenzie, at 2:39 AM  

  • Actually - I've installed the latest Beta2... And I must say that i'm very impressed with what they've done with it.

    The GUI is gorgeous.

    IN Word, you are not assaulted by all the little buttons in the toolbars anymore. Choosing which toolbars to add or not is not an issue any longer. Instead, they went with a tabbed look'n'feel and no File | Edit | View - look ...

    If you want specific tools, like on the tab you need, and choose it. The buttons are nice a big - and there's no question, at first glance, what's what!! I love the improvements.

    Another neat thing is they've added Blog support built-in! (including Blogger) -- i haven't tested that yet. You can post directly to your blog from Word now - no add-in installation required.

    Outook is still outlook - but the look is nicer! It has a three tiled look to it - with your calender on your right - with To Do lists listed below it. Everything imported without errors from my 2003 Business installation..

    I'm pretty impressed with the Beta.. looks like they did the right things..

    By Blogger AlRo, at 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home