[Geeks are Sexy] technology news

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Introducing: The Other Sys Admin

Greetings Everyone!
I'll take this time to post a small introduction and give you some background!

I am an Ottawa native, born and raised, and started my career in Technology and System Administration back in 1996. Since then I've had a plethora of jobs: Anywhere from Tech Support to Technical Trainer to System Administration (which is my current role).

The worst disaster that I ever had to contend with was all out Exchange 5.5 failure. For those of you who have not ever had to recover an Exchange 5.5 server with No Data Loss - it's a fricken nightmare! Documentation on the procedures are so scattered and difficult to understand that I actually decided to write my own Whitepaper on how to do it. I later published it at
Tek-tips . Click here to actually read the white paper.

I'm an avid gamer as well. My latest obsessions are Guild Wars and Oblivion.
I game on my custom built machine: AMD 3700+, 1 gig RAM, West-Digital 180gig Drive 7200rpm, and nVidia 7800 GT (not too many of those around - but I have connections ;))

I don't have a lot of spare time, however, being a local musician. On weekends I team up with my ol'man and an old friend of his in a band called
The Rivals. Don't hesitate to visit the website and download sounds and the video of us doing "Highway To Hell".

When Kiltak asked me to join G.A.S .. I didn't hesitate. I've been reading the blog for some time, and find that the exercise of posting odd articles here and there will be helpful, even for me, to keep current in today's technical market.

So - *BIG WAVE* .



  • Sweet, I'm the first to comment.

    Obsessed with Guild Wars and Oblivion, huh? I wish I could say I'm with you, but I'm not at all a gamer. I have, however been exposed to these two in particular (points accusingly at the Gaming Journalist). Looks like you've got good taste ;-)

    Welcome to the other side of Geeks Are Sexy!

    By Blogger theMatt, at 2:12 PM  

  • nice to meet you AlRo... always cool to see the face behind the name :o)

    Loved the HtH clip! You guys sound great. Big AC/DC fan myself. Taught myself to play the 'ole guitar (not very well mind - lol) back in my uni days... using AC/DC & Metallica chord books.

    If I'm ever in Ottowa I'll be sure to keep an ear out for The Rivals.

    *big wave* back atcha

    Caroline c",)

    By Blogger Caroline Natasha, at 2:15 PM  

  • Thanks for the welcome folks!

    Caroline; GLad you liked the clip! The band has been so busy lately, i finally got to do some relaxing this weekend - and next weekend too for our long weekend... Then - it's back to playing music every weekend until early December...

    Matt: Ya.. there's an event happening this weekend: Guild Wars: Nightfall Beta weekend event... I'm just about to dive in to game to see how it is...

    I'll review it when the weekend is over. (unfortunately, i haven't had the opportunity to try it all weekend... with playing music on Friday night.. and last night i had a BBQ w/ lots of scotch and wine ;)) ..

    By Blogger AlRo, at 3:36 PM  

  • Welcome to the GAS crew.

    Nice system, btw.

    By Blogger Tracy, at 6:23 PM  

  • But you're just too cute to be a geek!

    By Blogger Adrie, at 6:45 PM  

  • Welcome aboard!

    Dude, your Altec Lansing speakers sucks.. :)

    By Blogger Kiltak, at 7:45 PM  

  • Why Thank you Adrie! *bows gracefully*


    Kiltak: HAHAHA.. you kill me! They work... and the sub kicks out the BASS baby! Ya!!!!!

    By Blogger AlRo, at 8:07 PM  

  • Guild Wars?! COOL! you can find me there, add me to your friends list: "Sylanis Ruryl"

    Cya in Tyria... or Cantha.

    By Blogger Lord Ruryl, at 5:05 PM  

  • We'll team up soon,
    I'm Tealq Joffa.

    By Blogger AlRo, at 8:28 PM  

  • Dude, thats a sweet machine! I'm impressed, I like it. Keep up the great work with your blog, I'm loving it.


    By Blogger Mike, at 2:11 AM  

  • Thanks Mike... it is a SWEET box man.

    Buddy of mine owns his own shop out here around Ottawa - and he custom builds and paints them with Auto Paint.

    IF you look at the picture closely (click on it - it's huge), even the CPU fan and circulation fans have been painted.

    I named it SUPERNOVA (before Rockstar:Supernova AIRED btw!!!).

    By Blogger AlRo, at 4:52 PM  

  • hi geeks, the bank rocks, some does with the music itself, GAS arn't as they mean yeah but picks load and loads of local guys. Thanks for the info.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:15 AM  

  • Nice to see other Ottawa Admins being social.

    I really have to check out Guild Wars sometime soon.. it's on my list of things to do.

    By Blogger GeekInBlack, at 7:14 PM  

  • hey man.. good to see you too!
    Hope to see some articles outta ya soon! ;)

    By Blogger AlRo, at 10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home