[Geeks are Sexy] technology news

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Contest: Get a FREE book from [GAS]

A few days ago, newfound buddy Chip from Chip’s Quips decided to run a "get a free book" contest on his blog. He asked people to give him a few reading suggestions, and the person who suggested the book he would pick as his next read would end up winning the contest. The Prize? One book of a value of less than $20.

I thought that this was a great idea, so I'm going to run the exact same contest. Leave your suggestion in the comments section, along with the reason why I should pick your selection, and in 1 week, I'll make my choice.


  • Only 1 suggestion per participant.

    The winning person will have to choose a book that is worth less then 20$

    Don't forget to leave your URL so I can contact you if you win.

    By Blogger Kiltak, at 12:11 PM  

  • Oh, and If you can link to this to let everyone know about it, it would be great :)

    Here's a few things I read recently:

    -The art of Deception, Kevin Mitnick
    -The whole Forgotten realm and Dragon lance series.
    -Everything from Dan Brown, David Eddings, R.A. Salvatore, Tolkien
    -The Whole Shannara Serie
    -The Entire Harry Potter Serie

    By Blogger Kiltak, at 12:35 PM  

  • If you have not read it already. I would suggest the Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. I have not read it myself, but a lot of my friends have and have had nothing but good things to say about it. It is a unique world where two races are (or were) constantly at war. One race was forcibly imprisoned, while the other divided the world into the four elements and created the common races (humans, elves, and dwarves) in the process. Magic is approached in a fun way in my opinion, using runes and symbols traced in the air to cast spells. And, if you still remember anything from Dragonlance, you may come across a familiar character.

    By Blogger Jono, at 12:35 PM  

  • Ok, well the only book I can think of at the moment (and you may have already read it) is "Hyperspace" by Michio Kaku.

    I know this isn't exactly along the lines of the books you've listed - but, this book floored me as an undergrad. String theory hit me like a brick wall. Plus, Kaku actually has a sense of humor. Imagine that.

    By Blogger Tracy, at 12:50 PM  

  • I'd suggest Kushiel's Scion...that was a great continuation of her series.


    By Blogger Sandie, at 1:28 PM  

  • If you have not already read it, I would suggest The Cuckoo's Egg by Cliff Stoll. It is kind of a classic so you may have read it already, but if not it is worth reading.

    By Blogger B, at 1:39 PM  

  • .......i already have gas.....smells like barbecue!

    By Blogger Oberon, at 1:45 PM  

  • u need to break away from ur usual books and try reading:
    -Gossip Girl (Cecily von Ziegesar)
    -Bergdorf Blondes (Plum Sykes)
    -any book by Meg Cabot

    seriously, i'm not kidding. they're not meant for girls only. u can contact me at adelene89@hotmail.com

    what's GAS anyway?

    By Anonymous adelene, at 2:54 PM  

  • I would suggest the Women's Murder Club books by James Patterson.. the series consists of 1st To Die, 2nd Chance, 3rd Degree, 4th of July, and 5th Horseman.. they are great books, my whole family and most of my friends have read them and think that they are great books as so do I.

    By Blogger Brittany, at 3:18 PM  

  • I would suggest The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. It's the story of one man's life struggle. The story takes place in china. Pearl S. Buck first woman to receive the pulitzer prize in liturature did so for this story. Excellent read!!


    By Blogger Bonnie, at 3:28 PM  

  • I would totally suggest the book "Go Ask Alice." I had to read it in HS but it's a really good book. It's basically a real girls journal and she writes in it as she gets into drugs and stuff. Really good book.

    By Blogger Kevin, at 3:36 PM  

  • 'Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts

    This is a TRUE story about an Australian former heroin addict, armed robber, escaped convict and member of the Indian Mafia!!!
    THICK, but riveting, so it's sure to last you a good long while - if you don't spend all your time reading it, that is.

    By Blogger Aeon, at 4:16 PM  

  • The Shadow Of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

    ok, maybe a departure from what you usually go for but it's a beautifully written book. Utterly engaging from beginning to end. Zafon manages to create a kind of poetry in the simplest things. The language he uses is simple but at the same time sublime.

    It's a page-turner, but in the most subtle fashion.

    I think it should be compulsory reading ;o)

    Read it sometime anyway if you feel like it ( ... even if you don't choose it now)


    By Blogger Caroline Natasha, at 4:36 PM  

  • I would suggest "I Know This Much is True" by Wally Lamb. It's about twins, one of which is schizo. It's really long, like 900+ pages, but it flows well and you will be surprised how quickly you finish. Amazing.


    By Blogger Maria, at 5:04 PM  

  • I'd suggest the book I just finished reading: Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk (the guy who wrote Fight Club). It's an intesting book about this guy who hijacks an airplane so he can tell the black box his life story before it crashes. It's pretty dark and twisted, like Fight Club, but touches on meroality. Hope someone at least takes the recomendation.

    By Anonymous Justin, at 5:04 PM  

  • Any Kurt Vonnegute Book. I may have spelled his last name wrong so I exempt myself from the contest. Slaughter House 5 is not his best one in my opinion, but is a popular pick.

    By Blogger chumly, at 5:29 PM  

  • Hey Kiltak, looks like your contest is off to a great start. At the risk of winning (and thereby tying this new viral generosity into knots), I'll suggest "Finite and Infinite Games" by James P. Carse. It's more or less a pop-philosophy book, but the main concepts have had a profound impact on my world view.

    By Anonymous Sterling Camden (Chip), at 5:33 PM  

  • ehi... I'm new here, but I think that your idea's great! I'm italian (sorry 4 bad english! :-p), so I've no idea what's hot in Uk/Usa libraries right now: anyway, I'll suggest you one of my favourite books: "Zuckerman Unbound" by Philip Roth.

    Imagine this jewish writer: he's about 30 years old, (we are at the end of sixties) and million copies of his latest book "Carnovsky" have been selled: but this is a book focused on a jewish's sex problems, and you can imagine the reaction: many people celebrate him like a real artist, and many others believe that he's a maniac; someone from his family, his old friends, says that "Carnovsky" it's a shame for jewish identity. Even his father, on his death - bed... no, I can't tell you, read this book if you wanna know!
    It's a paradox: he has finally joined celebrity and prosperity and... everything goes wrong and then wrong! It's a short (about 180 pages), ironic novel, that will make you laugh several times, but it's not just amusement... have a good time with it!

    By Blogger La Maledetta S, at 5:37 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger LoveLenny, at 5:50 PM  

  • How to Talk Dirty & Influence People : Lenny Bruce. He is a fantastic mind, fast, brilliant & way ahead of his time.
    One of the best!


    By Blogger LoveLenny, at 5:53 PM  

  • This is so funny. oh what fun. http://caution-blonde-thinking.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger Blonde, at 6:36 PM  

  • How many can I leave? So many books...and I'm such a slow reader that so little time doesn't even begin to cover it....

    I just finished "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey. Took me about 35 pages to get into it, but it was worth it.

    All time favorites: "To Kill a Mocking Bird" by Harper Lee; Linda Greenlaw's books (she was the other swordfish captain portrayed in the movie "A Perfect Storm") - her reads are summer favorites, especially since we always spend a week off the coast of Maine; "Rocket Boys" which inspired the flick "October Sky"; "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" that became a movie by the same name; and anything by Roald Dahl--kid, young adult, or grown up books. This summer I'm reading two of his short story collections for grown ups: "Skin" (with my all time favorite short story ever written--"Lamb to the Slaughter") and "The Umbrella Man."

    Other summer reads still on my list: "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving, the book that inspired the film "Simon Birch," and "Choke" by Chuck Palahniuk (someone suggested another book of his in your comments). Plus I still have to read "The Da Vinci Code." I'm saving it for a time that I can read it non-stop, or nearly so.

    Okay, okay...enough already, I know. Good luck choosing a book!

    By Blogger Dana, at 6:36 PM  

  • I would suggest "I Know This Much is True" by Wally Lamb

    By Anonymous BioquimicBoy, at 7:07 PM  

  • Hello. I'm a fan of post modernism and beatnic writers like Ginsburg and Keroac myself. And I really do appreciate reading books with strong kickers for endings, you know, something that leaves a lasting impression through some insightful theme or message. Otherwise reading feels like a waste of time to me.

    That being said, I definitely recommend reading Ken Kesney's "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." I know it's a movie, blah, blah, blah, but Kesney's ability to incorporate humor and vivid imagery makes this book a great read. There are a few twists throughout the plot, which makes it unpredictable (like I imagine living in a mental hospital must be), unlike many books I've read as of late that basically give the ending away in the first couple sentences.

    So there you have it. "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesney. Happy reading.

    By Blogger smith, at 7:11 PM  

  • You should read A Child Called It. This book is a "cant put down" read and an extremely well written one at that. David Pelzer, the author who always wrote A Child Caller David, tells the true story of his childhod. The story is set in California where he takes brutal abuse incidents from his mother. One incident particular almost ends his life from a knief stab in his abdomen. This book tells the true story of the third worst child abuse case recorded in the state of California, a truely emotional tale this book will be one you can never forget and will read over and over again.
    Read it trust me very good!!!!

    By Blogger prego*teen, at 7:34 PM  

  • Ok, What about a Brazilian suggestion?
    "The hour of the star", written by Clarice Lispector.

    I felt the Pain of Macabea while reading... such an involving text!

    There is also a very good tale from the sane author, called "Miss Algrave", but I don't know if it was worldwide published.

    Hope you like it! ;]

    By Blogger Vivizz, at 10:18 PM  

  • Jonathan Safran Foer's Everything is Illuminated. There's a movie and a book. Perhaps you could read the book and then watch the movie!
    My blog and how you can reach me.

    By Blogger That Cat Monroe ..., at 10:29 PM  

  • If I could recommend any book, it would be a toss up between "A Clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess and Joseph Heller's "Catch-22".

    "Clockwork Orange" is an amazing, philosophical work about a hoodlum, trying to shorten his jail sentence by selling his freedom. Paradoxal, yet interesting. Really makes you think. It inspired the cult classic film. Burgess was an amazing philologist and if you admire Tolkin's new languages, you'll enjoy Nadsat (teen speak - the language in "Orange").

    "Catch-22" is also an amazing tale of a soldier trying to get out of his duty, only to find he's in a loop that won't let him out. A zany blend of charecters, including Major Major and Milo the cook that buys eggs for 7 cents, sells them for 5 cents and still makes a profit, all join Yossarian for a fun filled read.


    By Blogger Just ME :), at 10:58 PM  

  • I recommend The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.

    By Blogger Shanghai, at 12:21 AM  

  • I would suggest the series of trade paperbacks which collect the comics entitled "Concrete" by Paul Chadwick. They're black and white comics drawn and written by him. Very different from your standard superhero comics. Helps to open ones eyes to the possibilities of that medium.


    By Blogger David M, at 1:05 AM  

  • One of the best - most hypnotic - books I've ever read was a book by Dean R. Koontz called.. "Twilight Eyes" ... it's an older book - and earlier title... but it's awesome...

    Even if i don't win - you should still read it - very cool storyline - unsuspecting characters - balls to the walls suspense...



    By Blogger AlRo, at 9:39 AM  

  • The First $20 Million is Always the Hardest: A Novel

    It's a tech tale of finding one's self in a mythical place known for engineering feats. It's a bit outdated but it still holds its own. The book was turned into an updated movie, but the book has so much more to it.

    By Anonymous Jason Schramm, at 10:52 AM  

  • "Freakonomics" because you always wanted to know about that stuff. (And I say you disqualify all the other people who gave like 20 suggestions.)

    By Blogger cheryl, at 11:00 AM  

  • You have to read "The House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski.

    reason 1. it'll change your life
    reason 2. If you chose this as your next book I will buy it for you and have it shipped to you at my expense.


    By Blogger Sean Perkey, at 1:37 PM  

  • I would suggest _Forces of Habit: Drugs and the Making of The Modern World_ by David Courtwright. This book provides insight into the role controlled substances have played in the development of the global economy, as well as in disparate societies.

    Secondly, since you seem to have a nascent fascination with the Christian right, you might consider _Not By Politics Alone_ by Sara Diamond, or _American Theocracy_.Both books consider the increasing political power of the christian right and their control of the Republican party.

    By Anonymous gothamgrrl, at 3:59 PM  

  • Since your own list was predominantly fantasy, how about "Bridge of Birds" by Barry Hughart? For what it's worth, the average customer rating of the book on Amazon.com is five stars. That's out of 158 reviews!

    The book is a fantasy / comedy / detective story set in "an ancient China that never was", featuring the Chinese version of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson: Master Li and Number Ten Ox. The book won the World Fantasy Award in 1985. It contains one of the most spectacular climax scenes I've ever read; one of those where you wish someone like Peter Jackson would take a stab at it in movie form. It's one of my favorites. I read it aloud to my wife every other year.

    Steve Erbach
    The Town Crank

    By Blogger Steve Erbach, at 8:07 PM  

  • Blindness by Jose Saramago.

    One moment a man is sitting in traffic, the next he is blinded by white. The man who helps him get home steals his car— and goes blind. The eye doctor examining him goes blind. And so it spreads, until an entire population is stricken. Then there is the question of what to do with all the people...

    The book examines many ideas: crowd behavior, human instinct and "goodness", how people react to loss and change... parts of the book are disturbing and others force introspection and prompt many "What Ifs."

    [There is also a sequel entitled Sight, which I have yet to read but am told is also very good.]

    By Blogger Yels, at 1:41 AM  

  • - The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

    Very interesting story about a man who sponanteous time travels with in his own life span. It's written from the point of view of both him and his wife.

    Her entries are in chronological order, his are all over the place. It's a pretty gripping read by the end of it.


    By Anonymous engtech, at 1:46 AM  

  • fw"Flags Of Our Fathers" by James Bradley. Excellent, heart warming book. It is about the Marines in 1945 who raised the American Flag at Iwo Jima. Hurry and read the book before the movie comes out!

    By Blogger Blondie, at 10:23 AM  

  • I've enjoyed 1776 by McCullough. Very interesting treatment of the Revolutionary war from both the British and Colonial sides.

    History that reads like a story.


    By Blogger MattG, at 1:34 PM  

  • Excellent idea. Good spreads good.

    Long Live books and friends of books.

    I have cited your post in my blog. Best, Mohamed

    By Blogger Mohamed Taher, at 6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home