[Geeks are Sexy] technology news

Monday, May 29, 2006

Introducing The Teacher

My name is Erica (yes, that is my real name) and I am a first year technology teacher in a Junior High School in West Suburban Chicago, Illinois. Before I went back to school for my teaching degree, I was employed for 20 years (I have shoes older than these guys!) in the IT industry in various capacities.

I have worked with many different forms of technology. My first computer program was punched on paper tape and read into the reader of an HP mini while I was in college. My first paid technology job was as a COBOL programmer for a large insurance company in New York. I have worked as a systems security auditor, a systems implementation consultant, project management officer and a technical trainer.

I have been on the Internet since the days of dial-up and character-based browsers. My recent interests include how technology can be used to increase the effectiveness of public education and progressive politics. I am actually considering running for the local school board in the upcoming year.

My first series of articles will be about my transition to my MacBook. It arrived this past week and I can’t keep my hands off of it!


  • Welcome Erica! I'm looking forward to read some of your stuff.

    It was about time you guys got a female presence on the team :)

    By Anonymous Tech Princess, at 10:23 AM  

  • "I have shoes older than these guys"

    We grovel in front of your wisdom :)

    By Blogger Kiltak, at 11:26 AM  

  • Technology in... education... *looks around shiftily*

    You're not getting me back into a classroom! I just finished all that nonsense!!!

    PS- Welcome :)

    By Blogger vansau, at 3:04 PM  

  • Hey Tech Princess: why don't you apply to the team, too?

    By Blogger vansau, at 3:05 PM  

  • Erica, welcome! The groveling is commencing. Though I must ask...how have you managed to keep shoes around for so long? I mean, we may be relative youngins, but my shoes tend to get destroyed in a matter of a couple of years.

    Tech Princess: I second Vansau.

    By Blogger theMatt, at 4:52 PM  

  • Sorry guys but I barely have time to eat at lunch. Writing daily would probably drive me crazy.

    Don't be sad, I love you all, and I'm probably one of your biggest fans :)

    By Anonymous Tech Princess, at 2:02 PM  

  • So long as you talk dirty... er...

    Let's try that again:

    So long as you associate with us in public, I accept your professed love.

    By Blogger vansau, at 12:09 AM  

  • Erica,

    I have been reading over this blog and thought that you and your readers might be interested in a new service called Frucall; a new comparison shopping tool that delivers the data via voice.

    Here is how it works:

    Consumers who are not at a computer can still take advantage of comparison shopping by calling 1-888-DO-FRUCALL and typing in or reading the product's barcode number to the system. Frucall will then search the product on Amazon.com, Yahoo! Shopping and Streetprices.com and will return the pricing results within ten or so seconds. Consumers can use a voice menu to “bookmark” items, leave themselves voice notes for later reference, listen to customer ratings, and soon purchase the product directly from their cell phone. Consumers can also register at Frucall.com to personalize their shopping experience and also access more valuable features.

    Technical Specs:

    - Frucall is a Web 2.0/m-Commerce mashup service which combines a wide range of technologies such as SOA (Service Oriented Architecture), XML, VoiceXML, TTS (Text To Speech), ASR (Automated Speech Recognition), SMS and WAP to deliver real-time information from the Internet to consumer cell phones.

    - Currently, the information Frucall delivers to consumers’ cell phone is comparison shopping data. The format of delivery is voice. Therefore, Frucall can be called from any mobile or land line phone.

    - Frucall has a voice portal (1-888-DO-FRUCALL) and a web portal (http://www.frucall.com) tied together with backend business logic implemented in Java, deployed on the Apache Tomcat J2EE platform.

    - In addition to comparison shopping, Frucall also offers basic social networking services such as reminders and group messaging via SMS.

    If you want to chat more about Frucall or how the service works, I would be more than happy to put you in touch with the right person.

    Take Care,
    Michael Brito

    By Anonymous Michael Brito, at 1:37 AM  

  • Hi Erica. I've just found your postings and will come back for more. I also wrote a book called THE QUEEN GEEK SOCIAL CLUB, a YA book about the life of geek girls in high school. Since obviously you're a geek (and I say that as a high compliment) maybe you'd like to check out Ch 1 on my web site, www.prebles-prose.com
    Laura Preble

    By Blogger Laura Preble, at 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home