[Geeks are Sexy] technology news





Thursday, April 13, 2006

Google Calendar is now live!

While browsing my daily links this morning, I learned from Slashdot that Google Calendar has just been released to the public! I checked it out, and it looks to be very promising. It features full Gmail integration, calendar sharing, iCal support and more. It also offers you the possibility of importing all of your data from other popular calendar apps like Outlook and Yahoo! Calendar. Google Calendar uses open calendar standards, so when it comes to accessing your schedule, you can view it using applications or devices that supports the iCAL or XML file format.

Definitely worth a look if you are looking for an alternative solution to Outlook.



4 Comments:

  • I love it - it's the best calendar I have ever soon - so fast and simple :) and my net is always on so I don't mind it being web-based.

    By Blogger Azhar, at 10:45 AM  

  • The best thing is that it will be integrated with Gmail.

    By Anonymous John T P, at 8:39 PM  

  • And will there be backups of the data? And will it be private? And will it be hipaa compliant?

    Before anyone goes thinking of it is a real "alternative" to outlook.exchange, think of the backend details first.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:16 PM  

  • I lept in and poked around a little as soon as I got the news, and I must say I'm impressed. It's easily the best web-based calendar app I've used so far. iCal support has me especially interested.

    The one thing that I haven't tried yet (but would be crucial for my operations) is syncronizing iCal data between ye olde google-web and local calendaring programs (not simply reading or being "subscribed to" the remote calendar).

    As for viable replacements to Outlook, those who want to stick to local applications should check out Sunbird (from mozilla). The current version is relatively stable, but it should be noted that the software is barely even an early alpha release.

    By Blogger theMatt, at 8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home