[Geeks are Sexy] technology news

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

[Geeks Are Sexy] : Introducing theMatt

Kiltak recently extended me an offer to contribute content to this awesome blog. I figured it'd be a good idea to introduce myself before posts started mysteriously appearing with an author other than the site's owner.

I'm currently finishing up my Junior year at a small liberal-arts college in Washington State. I've declared a major in Studio Art (think applied arts, or something similar...yes, it's a real degree), and I'm a member of my school's IT support staff. Though I've been interested in computers and Information Technology for several years, I've only been actively exposed to the IT industry for about two years.

Since most of my work revolves around end-user support in a relatively diverse computing environment, I'm evolving into somewhat of a generalist. If I absolutely had to define a specific speciality, at this point it'd probably be "the aesthetic and technical nuances of web design." Besides staffing the school's helpdesk, doing on-site network troubleshooting, and managing some of the school's computer labs (and the consultants that staff them), I've spent a fair amount of time doing web development for the IT department, and various other random people around campus.

Even though a lot of people greet my bubbling excitement about the latest cool little computery trick I learned with blank stares, shaking heads, or the almost sad "you're such a geek," I maintain the mindset that I'm still quite the newbie. I have just enough experience and knowledge to see a pretty clear picture of how much I really don't know. I'm always trying to learn more, and am fascinated by something new almost every time I hit one of my favorite tech-related websites. I hope that my rambling posts, and (hopefully) witty remarks will bring you some of the same "whoa, that's cool" or "huh, that's uh....weird and interesting" moments I've enjoyed hunting down since I started fitting some definitions of "geek".

Oh, and yes, Matt is indeed my real name.


  • Welcome matt! Just exactly what are you drinking on that picture?

    By Blogger Kiltak, at 6:39 AM  

  • Yeah, we want to know!

    Beer? :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:46 AM  

  • It's clearly blood :p

    Welcome Matt!

    By Blogger Lyle, at 1:47 PM  

  • Sorry to be lame, but there's only water in that nalgene. Though admittedly, the "ruby red" color is such that it'll cleverly hide the true nature of the contents. Milk or OJ looks particularly sketchy and weird.

    The "dark nalgene trick" is frequently used with great effectiveness by my fellow college dorks to hide the true nature of their beverages from those who'd make them pour out the alceehol.

    By Blogger theMatt, at 6:40 PM  

  • Welcome Matt! We'll be waiting anxiously for those "huh, that's uh....weird and interesting" moments!

    By Anonymous Michael Smith, at 10:02 PM  

  • Welcome aboard,hope thye blog is updated daily consistently now.

    By Blogger Azhar, at 5:18 AM  

  • matt-

    wasn't really sure which one of you guys i should contact about a possible story...i left a message for nick also...but i thought i'd try you too...hit me up

    By Blogger jon, at 5:42 PM  

  • blood-water?

    By Blogger Mark, at 11:59 PM  

  • "I have just enough experience and knowledge to see a pretty clear picture of how much I really don't know. I'm always trying to learn more, and am fascinated by something new..." This pretty much sums me up, too, only I'm coming at it from a different angle: I'm a stay-at-home mother of 8 (not a typo) who is fascinated by web design. If I were back in school now, like you, I would probably have majored in a related field. As it is, I'm a Russian major which I've used almost - well, never! - except I am teaching my teenage son now.

    I've recently read books on Dreamweaver and Photoshop, and I ordered a new one on Illustrator today. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts and ramblings about web design!

    By Blogger Mommy Dearest, at 3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home