[Geeks are Sexy] technology news





Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Are CDs dependable enough to back up your important data?

About 15 years ago, most people were using floppies to store their important files. Floppy disks were often prone to failure, so nobody could really trust them enough to back up their data safely, but they were doing it anyway. I remember that each time I had to get one out of the closet to recover an important file, I always crossed my fingers and prayed real hard so that the disk would still be in working condition.

A few years later, CDs started to appear on the market, and all PCs were delivered equipped with a CD reader. Burners were really expensive back then, but everybody thought that at least, the disks were more dependable then floppy are, and they are, up to a certain point. A few months back, I was browsing through some of my old CDs, and ended up on something I had burned 5 years ago. Guess what? The media was unreadable.

It seems that unlike original CDs, burned CDs have a pretty short life span of between two to five years, depending on the quality of the CD.

This compuworld
article resumes the situation very well.

"The problem is material degradation. Optical discs commonly used for burning, such as CD-R and CD-RW, have a recording surface consisting of a layer of dye that can be modified by heat to store data. The degradation process can result in the data "shifting" on the surface and thus becoming unreadable to the laser beam."

If CDs are still not dependable enough for you, your only solution now would be to store that data on magnetic tapes, which have a life span of 30 to 100 years. Unfortunatly, backup solutions which uses magnetic tapes are a bit complicated for ordinary folks. Where does that leave you, Mr. and Mrs. Everybody ?



1 Comments:

  • I've found CDs (or DVDs for that matter) to be too small and slow for my needs. My backup solution consists entirely of backup hard drives. Probably not the most robust, but it's by far the fastest and most convenient. Also, this solution will not only survive the ongoing format wars, but is flexible enough easily transition to new hard drive technologies.

    Neither CDs or my hard drives provide an easy off-site backup solution unfortunately. I had a recent scare where an entire building section next to my room was flooded. If the flooding had reached me, my data would've been toast.

    By Blogger theMatt, at 10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home