[Geeks are Sexy] technology news

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The dark side of system administration

Ok, I have to admit I'm short tempered sometimes, but usually, I'm more patient then I should for my own health.

System administrators usually have the brutal task of maintaining the inventory of all the information technology stuff that the company they work for owns. A few weeks ago, I had the marvelous idea of having people working in remote offices send me an update about the inventory of their current environment. That was a bad idea, a really bad one.

People in 2005 should AT LEAST have a bit of knowledge about computers when they work with one..

This means:

  • A screen isn't a computer.
  • A computer isn't a hard disk.
  • When I describe VERY precisely how to get the amount of RAM / Speed of the computer, I don't wanna get answer like: Computer brand and speed: Asus 52X
  • No, We do not REBOOST a computer, we reboot them.
  • When a user get a confirmation box saying: Press OK to continue, I don't want people to call me to ask what they need to do.
  • No, it's not possible to send a 700MB cd by email.
  • hitting enter or clicking OK is the same thing.. Stop Arguing! it's the same THING!

I'm now officially depressed :)


  • If it helps, you're totally not alone. As one of the helpful people who works in IT Support at a smallish college (where our very lucky sysadmin is relatively insulated from the ignorant masses)I completely sympathise with your gripes.

    And then there's the person who says they can't find a location in the Start Menu despite very explicit instruction...and after 10 minutes of a very....interesting....phone conversation, manages to say the word "Mac". Apparently some people aren't even aware that "Mac" does not mean "Windows", even though there are indeed windows on screens displayed by both OS's.

    There should be a support group or something. Depressed Technology Folks Anonymous.

    By Blogger theMatt, at 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home